Friday, December 01, 2006

The Stone question



So the stone question is starting to get some monentum going. So I thought I would get it out to my worldly friends out there, especially the climbers and mountaineers who in my opinion tend to be, in reality geologists on crack. So the question is this. The sauna is being built with this huge vein of Slate and Graywacke (SP) in it. It is the craziest rock I have ever seen. It is weird because it is compressed and in huge chunks it is hard like granite, fun to climb on, I would call it good rock. But that said when it is impacted or in small pieces it flakes off in shingle sized pieces. It is gray and really dark black. Anyway the question is what it will be like in the Sauna, will it absorb heat thus making it hard to heat up or will it reflect it and make it hotter faster? Who knows but yesterday I was out riding near the res and saw this sight. I have been out there testing ice thickness as we are about to have the rockstar ice skating year, just pure black ice, but that is another story. Scattered all over the ice were hundreds of small sized rocks. Now I know for a fact that nobody has been back there since I have been, so these rocks most likely blew themselves out there due to either solar heating or the intense cooling at night, the temp got down to 2 degrees last night. So interesting huh? Do you think that they got real hot, melted the snow and ice around them, then when the temp plummeted did the water expand thus shooting out on the ice? Or maybe the other way? They are facing south. What does that say about the sauna rock that is the same stone? The Stone question............hmmmmmmmmm

3 comments:

rna said...

Can't offer aything like an informed opinion on your stone questions, but I'd think the rock would heat up sufficiently on the surface to keep pace with the sauna temps, and then keep the heat for a while longer as things cool done. You could check with Pagel or Jane Reed, geologists both, for a more informed response.

The rocks on the river- that's just strange....

Anonymous said...

Hey,nice blog!!! I found a place where you can make an extra $800 or more a month. I do it part time and make a lot more than that. It is definitely worth a visit! You can do it in your spare time and make good cash. Make Extra Cash

Anonymous said...

it would take much longer to heat up, and much longer to cool down. the best sauna would be a highly insulated wood box - fast to heat up, and holds the heat in.