Saturday, March 31, 2007

Bloodsport, 50km classic race in Norway




I had always heard about blood bouncing on ice but I actually saw it happen three times at the Sesilami. The first 22 km's is a climb up this pass then you are thrown into this long seemingly easy downhill. Since you are above tree line it is hard to visualize the angle of the hill until it is too late. The loype were in full klister conditions, which means solid ice, so I would not hesitate to say that I most likely hit 50mph on that hill and after a 20 km climb, your legs are a bit unsteady! You are also pack racing since you start in age groups so all at once there was just carnage, bindings ripping off skis, poles breaking, guys flying over the edge of the trail onto the crust below. Insanity and I was loving every minute of it.

No comments: