Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Destruction of Duluth, MN 2008


As I am now not truly a voting member of the City of Duluth, Mn I can honestly say I am sitting on the sidelines watching the collapse of a once great place. In the past 10 years or so of living in Duluth I have always lamented the fact that Duluth COULD be the best place I have ever lived, but due to old school thinking and short sighted values many of the things Duluth should be valued for, are being torn down, destroyed, paved over or basically neglected. I have always imagined what it would be like to have a person of my generation in charge and what type of change that could bring to a place with so much potential. Well now we know and from where I am standing it is not so good. I do not pretend to understand how the politics of this town works and so I am not totally sure where all the short sightedness is truly coming from. The city council? Don Ness himself? But the truth of the matter is that Duluth is selling its soul, its art, its valued green space to pay off debts that certainly could be covered in other creative ways. It is certainly a cheap fast way to get out of trouble, a way Duluth citizens will never recover from.
Duluth has also created several hundred city job cuts. Not to belittle the fact that several hundred people are now pounding the pavement for work, but we are also losing library branches and park service. Who knows what that could mean to a town that has boasted it is one of the Best Outdoor Town in America. We have seven nordic ski areas in the town proper, will grooming be cut for these parks? Will the parks even be open?

No comments: