Monday, September 08, 2008

Somethings hatching out there.....



I have found consistently that late summer and early fall there is a hatch on the water behind the house here that brings out the hawg smallies. I first encountered it two seasons ago but did not understand it enough to capitalize on it. Last summer I finally found a sinking fly that matched it enough to start catching some really big small mouths. Alas, this season I have been keeping my eye out and on Saturday I saw the same situation occur. Usually on a glassy evening you start to see swirls and boils, sometimes solo sometimes in the hundreds and you paddle up on them and then sight cast to individual rings and POW, monsters. I had several fish well into the 20 inch range. To give you an idea, the hoop of the net in the picture is 20 inches long.......

2 comments:

dharma bum said...

Making me jealous Hansi. That's a damn fine fish, and you got it a day before I was thoroughly stymied by the smallies on the Snake River... sounds like a blast anyway.

Loki said...

Anytime Greg! Come on by.