Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fly Rods and river logs: Pike on a fly in Minnesota

Kerplunk....here fishy, fishy, fishy.

Local knowledge is key

Perfect hot summer day outing

Big boy in velvet, we will look for him again come fall!
I had a great fishing outing the last weekend.  My brother in law and his family were in town from Salt Lake City.  Elmo was an old friend before he became family and we have had many adventures together in the past.  However now that he comes to MN regularly I am trying to give him an idea of the fun things that we have around here.

Elmo loves to fly fish so I asked some of my friends for a fun, river float adventure that had some good warm water fishing.  Luckily one of my buddies (who will remain nameless) had a great stretch of water (Which will also remain nameless) that he likes to fish smallmouth and pike on.  He really hooked us up as the river was awesome.  We floated and fished for the full day and had some amazing action on the fly rod, mainly with pike.  Bike pike.  At one point I had on easily a 30 plus inch fish, which was really exciting as I had a 5 weight with an 8lb tippet and no steel.  Needless to say it was a really fun epic battle.

The day was perfect and I think that Elmo was inspired to do it all over again next year he comes to visit!

No comments: